The IRS compares the payment information reported to the IRS by employers, banks, businesses, and other payers on income documents (Forms W-2, 1098, 1099, etc.) to the income, credits, and deductions you report on your income tax return.

Call (800)790-8574
BBB A+ Accredited Business

The Automated Underreporter (AUR) function uses an automated system for this comparison and sends out a Notice CP-2000 if you didn’t report income on your return that was reported to the IRS by a payer or if it appears that payments, credits, and/or deductions are overstated. The CP-2000 isn’t a bill, it’s a proposal to adjust your income, payments, credits, and/or deductions. The adjustment may result in additional tax owed or a refund of taxes paid.


The first page of the notice provides a summary of proposed changes to your tax, a phone number to call for assistance, and the steps you should take to respond.

In addition, the CP-2000:

  • Shows the amounts you reported on your original or amended return
  • Shows the amounts reported to the IRS by the payer
  • Shows the IRS proposed changes to the tax, credits, and/or payments
  • Shows the payer’s name, ID number, the type of document issued (W-2, 1098, 1099), and the tax identification number of the person to whom the document was issued
  • Proposes either an increase or decrease to your tax liability based on the payer documentation, and
  • Includes a response form, payment voucher, and an envelope.

Review the information on the CP-2000 carefully to verify its accuracy and so you know exactly how you should respond. On the response form, indicate whether you agree with all, some, or none of the changes the IRS is proposing. You can also authorize someone other than yourself to contact the IRS concerning the notice in the space provided on the response form.

We are tax relief experts specializing in IRS back tax help, Installment Agreements, tax lien help, wage garnishment release, IRS Offer in Compromises and a whole lot more. Get a free consultation from an experienced tax relief expert today (800)790-8574 or visit

Other Ways to connect with us:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s